Worst thing about Dota 2

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Gunde

Gunde

Vanguard

• 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi, I've been playing Dota 2 on the EU server since July this year I think, and I have some questions.

Maybe it's because I'm still kinda low ranked as a player, but every single game I play there is always atleast one guy that just talks shit, blames allies, big ups himself etc. You know, internet tough guys that only know how to say "I fuck your mother" or "bitch team" in english. It's so rare to have a game where no one talks shit, starts raging or behaves like an imature idiot, and when one of them starts the others will follow.

I just get so fed up by these fucking kids and their bad attitude, I'm not even enjoying playing anymore. I just mute my whole team whenever they start arguing, talking shit and blaming eachother, so I don't have to listen to it. I mean, is it always like this? Or will it change once I get my MMR up and start playing with some decent players?

And I don't mean to shit all over Dota. I think it's a really deep, strategic, great game, but the community is just aweful, and I'm curious if anyone feels the same way? And how do you deal with it?

Punishment

Punishment

Black King Bar

• 348 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

its the vicious retard cycle of dota.

Always blame everyone but yourself.
If you die as carry? its the freaking supports fault.

Help the community , report them and move on.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

oogaboogacaveman

oogaboogacaveman

Stout Shield

• 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

your complaint isn't really a problem with DotA, it's a problem with the community. The best thing you can do is report them for being abusive in the chat and move on.

it's important to realize that if they're trash talking that much they're probably not very good. I trash talked a lot when I had been playing HoN for a few months, but at some point I just stopped giving a shit and started playing videogames instead of having a hissy fit whenever my team wasn't doing what I thought they should be. When you achieve DotA nirvana, none of the flamers will matter.

my biggest complaint about DotA is no shop hotkeys

I like to buy items fast
Big plays, small players

aderum

aderum

Shiva's Guard

• 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

your complaint isn't really a problem with DotA, it's a problem with the community. The best thing you can do is report them for being abusive in the chat and move on.

it's important to realize that if they're trash talking that much they're probably not very good. I trash talked a lot when I had been playing HoN for a few months, but at some point I just stopped giving a shit and started playing videogames instead of having a hissy fit whenever my team wasn't doing what I thought they should be. When you achieve DotA nirvana, none of the flamers will matter.

my biggest complaint about DotA is no shop hotkeys

I like to buy items fast

There are hotkeys, they are just very unintuitive and I dont belive you can change them :/

It made the hope of salvation a bleak afterthought tucked away in the pockets of my mind,

only to surface accidentally in the curious dream of my shallow sleep.

Udyret

Udyret

The Pride of Norway

• 2163 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Most people have said it already, but it counts: report them.

What differs in this game from some others is that the report crew are actually dealing out bans and whatnot to people who get reported. It actually has a function in here.

Do us all a favor, and report people that flame and abuse, and we'll get rid of them; one at a time. Just don't reply with the same type of attitude towards them ;)

Unquestionable king of Awesometitsville

8389648578_56617d90ca.jpg

Sig by Pronto

Check out my website for sweet game reviews!

Twitter Site

Twitch

B1aze

B1aze

Bloodstone

• 84 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

It's a bit ridiculous. Finding co-operative, well-mannered players are like finding diamonds. I'm not always the victim of the flame and trolls. Just had a game where I was getting flamed for feeding and pretty much just not doing what my team wants me to do. It appalling to listen to these people who can simply dump responsibility onto 1 player. I am the sole reason for the loss. At the end of the game comes the generic 'report pls tnx'.

And it's not the first time.

I've been playing dota for over 8 years and yes, the majority of the community is simply negative. And narrow-minded. Blame someone other than self. And the worst thing? None of your teammates will try and prevent it. Unless they're your friends. They'll join in for the blame. Weak.
"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist" ~

tsetsesTest

tsetsesTest

Wasn't NRVQSR

• 1477 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I tend to remain reserved and quiet whenever being abused by other people. If they do report me for mistakes I make, I let the Valve team decide whether or not I deserve the punishment. Sometimes I like to make smart-ass remarks at people who are blatantly wrong with what they say, but eh. A lot of the time people will blame others, but this is mostly because of lack of communication or lack of reaction, whether it be on their side or yours.

However, the report system requires some tweaks, at least. I've been reported (assumingly) at times. I can tell because I was put into low priority matchmaking pools countless times. The issue is, I have no idea what I even did wrong, so I can't really repent for my actions since I had no idea. If Valve could tell people who get punished why they are being punished, then perhaps it could induce some change of hearts. As it is at the moment, I stay quiet not only to remain hidden from attention, but also to avoid any potential, half-assed report that is flung at me because I looked at them in a weird way.

Illuminati Supervisor of Awesometitsville

nrvqsrFinal_zpsa51f6b2d.png

Why not take a moment or two to check out the Hero/Item Creation Station section? - http://www.dotacinem...eation-station/

Kudos to Chalice for the great signature!

---

76561198024343258.png

brentskieee

brentskieee

Bot Slayer

• 4611 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I tend to remain reserved and quiet whenever being abused by other people. If they do report me for mistakes I make, I let the Valve team decide whether or not I deserve the punishment. Sometimes I like to make smart-ass remarks at people who are blatantly wrong with what they say, but eh. A lot of the time people will blame others, but this is mostly because of lack of communication or lack of reaction, whether it be on their side or yours.

+1
let them be, just do your own part and don't fight back with trashtalks too. Maybe insult them for saying good thing, be sarcastic but not too mean :)

Just enjoy the game, but always do your part :)

* Unquestionable Commanding General of Anti-Awesometitsville *

signature_1_by_flyingbandicoot-d67s7km_z

Leadership | Friendship | Service

Steam | SteamRep | Reputation Thread | Dota2Traders | Facebook | Twitter

Thanks to FlyingBandicoot for my amazing signature.

FOR DONATIONS TO BRENTSKIEEE

via Paypal | via Steam(Items)

Teschio

Teschio

Bloodstone

• 107 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Play with friends. It is not that hard finding people like you that don't want trolls and ragers in their team, every time you find one send a friend request, soon you will have enough people in your friend list to be sure you will never queue alone. And, once you get to higher MMR this things rarely happen anyway.

Punishment

Punishment

Black King Bar

• 348 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

well then this just happend to me

End of the match, we won

'Report xxxx for feeding please' (he was a new player)

Me:

'Yeah im not going to report people for being new at this game'

and then the retard says this

'omg u fuckhead , reported'

What a community!

tsetsesTest

tsetsesTest

Wasn't NRVQSR

• 1477 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

End of the match, we won

'Report xxxx for feeding please' (he was a new player)

Me:

'Yeah im not going to report people for being new at this game'

and then the retard says this

'omg u fuckhead , reported'

This is why you remain silent. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the fact you say something means you provoke him. Some people can be provoked by the most minor things, so you need to be careful.

Illuminati Supervisor of Awesometitsville

nrvqsrFinal_zpsa51f6b2d.png

Why not take a moment or two to check out the Hero/Item Creation Station section? - http://www.dotacinem...eation-station/

Kudos to Chalice for the great signature!

---

76561198024343258.png

Punishment

Punishment

Black King Bar

• 348 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yeah but im not letting people shit over new people

Pronto

Pronto

✧ Mid and Feeding ✧

• 1249 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

DotA really needs a falcon punch button just to teach those players a lesson!

Will it change once I get my MMR up and start playing with some decent players?

I honestly have no idea how the matching system works. I get the odd idiot who needs a reality check, but they can go jump as far as I care. In a situation when I get someone who won't stop complaining/flaming, I will just ignore them completely and refuse to respond to their banter. I try to lighten the mood when I play, which some people detest, but I do it so that it is more enjoyable for everyone. When you are calm, others are more likely to calm down too. :)

And I don't mean to shit all over Dota. I think it's a really deep, strategic, great game, but the community is just aweful, and I'm curious if anyone feels the same way?

No, I don't really feel the same way. Of course, people are going to voice their anger in different ways and refuse to accept their mistakes (Come on, we all make them.). But, I really think it has to do with people taking it too seriously and forgetting it is a game. I had a situation before where I was playing with a fellow forum member. I was doing absolutely TERRIBLE and the team didn't flame me or come down on me like a tonne of bricks. I was playing absolutely terrible and one of the members only reply was: 'Don't worry dude. Just have fun.' This has proven to me, that there are decent people out there and I have made a complete U-turn about how I think about the DotA 2 community.

Don't let a few bad experiences ruin the game for you. Everyone has a bad day, even pro's. :)

And how do you deal with it?

Ignore them and try not to fuel the fire. If they continue? Report them. Simple as that.

My responses in green. ;)

**edit - Added response to a question I forgot**

Pronto.

Appointed advisor of Awesometitsville... or is it just an illusion?

Sometimes you need to come to the realisation that some things are not meant to be. Don't overthink what has transpired in the past and simply take it in your stride.

Apoca!ypse

Apoca!ypse

God(Officially)

• 1240 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

This problem isn't present only in DotA2, welcome to online gaming. Just ignore those guys. And DONT return with abuse, it not only ruins your gameplay but also your mood(which also affects your gameplay).
Everyone worse than you is a noob, everyone better than you has no life.

DO NOT CLICK HERE!!

I hope the world ends.

hazalad

hazalad

Blackguard

• 1144 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I come from HoN and I`m telling you. the community seems so much better here. The reason I guess is that in Dota 2 griefers and flamers actually get banned if they persist on abusing other people. If they flame you, aks them/warn them in polite manner to stop it. If they go on - report them immediately for chat/voice abuse and mute them. At least that`s what I do and it works for me pretty fine.

Someone can argue that muting team-mate can hamper the team communication and thus lead to more mistakes and errors, but if he flames and rages there is no communication going whatsoever. The verbal abuse can only distract you and worsen your game, so better mute and keep an eye on the mini-map. There are always jerks to throw tantrums and rage, but don`t let that bother you. Do NOT agrue with them, it is pointless: only breaks your concentration and spoils the fun from the game. The retarded person will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience:)

Major Boobage

Major Boobage

Stout Shield

• 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

There is a mute button for reason.
If the guy is writing shjat all over the place, jute mute him. I dont think that he will say something about some gank or strategy, just pure flame.

CrackPuppy

CrackPuppy

Vanguard

• 56 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think every game that requires teamwork has those flamers.. so the best thing you could do is just play with your friends.

aderum

aderum

Shiva's Guard

• 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

I come from HoN and I`m telling you. the community seems so much better here. The reason I guess is that in Dota 2 grievers and flamers actually get banned if they persist on abusing other people.

Yeah the Dota community is soooo much better than the HoN comunnity. I played a game of HoN the other day with a mate and it was constant whining from the start, not only in chat buy in voice chat. It really was horrendous.

It made the hope of salvation a bleak afterthought tucked away in the pockets of my mind,

only to surface accidentally in the curious dream of my shallow sleep.

Akyua

Akyua

Bloodstone

• 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

The learning curve was, for me, the hardest thing to overcome. I learnt most of this game through browsing /r/Dota, watching guides, streams, and other videos

Another thing that kinda sucky is the community. Sure you get the odd "Oh, good job man!" and the occasional "You are doing good!" but is most cases you'll get someone that expects you to do good after they have just screamed down your throat without reason. If people want to get things done, all they have to do is keep a level head and not get easily aggravated at their team-mates.

But I guess that is my victimised view on things! xD

Broseppi

Broseppi

Stout Shield

• 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I come from HoN and I`m telling you. the community seems so much better here. The reason I guess is that in Dota 2 griefers and flamers actually get banned if they persist on abusing other people. If they flame you, aks them/warn them in polite manner to stop it. If they go on - report them immediately for chat/voice abuse and mute them. At least that`s what I do and it works for me pretty fine.

Someone can argue that muting team-mate can hamper the team communication and thus lead to more mistakes and errors, but if he flames and rages there is no communication going whatsoever. The verbal abuse can only distract you and worsen your game, so better mute and keep an eye on the mini-map. There are always jerks to throw tantrums and rage, but don`t let that bother you. Do NOT agrue with them, it is pointless: only breaks your concentration and spoils the fun from the game. The retarded person will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience:)

I still play HoN and the fastest time I've ever gotten a response from a report from S2 was 6 hours, on average of about 10. Nothing wrong with either game, the MOBA community in general is garbage.

Active Users

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users