• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

StagedBetrayal

StagedBetrayal

Vanguard

• 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Just got my invitation.
My friend has Dota 2 already downloaded and installed. I was wondering if there is a way for him to transfer his Dota 2 to my computer via USB. Can it be done? I don't want to download it, because it takes too long, but if there is absolutely no other way then I guess it can't be helped.
I once heard- "You are only good until you know you suck"- guess you only suck until you know your good.

BlackDragon038

BlackDragon038

Bloodstone

• 75 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

I don't think it will work, but you can try.
Posted Image

BoredDragon

BoredDragon

Bloodstone

• 142 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm fairly certain you're going to have to download it through steam. I don't think there is a way around it, but I'm not the most tech savvy PC gamer. Quite honestly, you would have a better time just trying to google the solution.

AzKat

AzKat

Aegis of the Immortal

• 973 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

It will work.

Just copy the game to the correct folder and it will work. However, don't change anything. Just copy and paste it. After that is done just restart steam.

tinzky

tinzky

Stout Shield

• 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Steam has a game back up option for you to package a game properly to transfer to another computer.

Just right click on dota2 in your friends computer steam library and you will be able to find it.

el_sime

el_sime

Vanguard

• 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

if it's too slow to download, your internet connection is not good enough to play online games.

Chile Pepper

Chile Pepper

Shiva's Guard

• 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

It will work. That's how I distributed copies of DotA2 to my friends after downloading it.

Posted Image

"The Carry cannot Carry if the Support doesn't Support"
make sense?

KG24

KG24

Stout Shield

• 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Use the back-up and restore function of Steam.

First, make sure Dota 2 you are copying is updated. Then back-it-up. You can choose either in CD or DVD format.

Check C>Program FIles>Steam>Backups. Then copy the Dota 2 folder in your EHD or Flash disk, then to your pc.

Click Steam tab at the upper left screen of Steam, then Backup and Restore Game. Select the folder of Dota 2 you copied. Then wait for it to finish copying and patching. Restart Steam if needed.

Enjoy! :)

Noobkaka

Noobkaka

Bloodstone

• 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

if it's too slow to download, your internet connection is not good enough to play online games.

Uhm no. Anyone with a minimum of 200kb/s downlaod speed can play online games, though their ping will be around 60-80.

I know this because I've played dota 2 through my iphone on the country side. where I had a semi-decent ping of about 40-80.

Shizuku♥

Shizuku♥

DOES NOT EXIST♥

• 2615 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

You may just include the steam folder. (if Dota 2 is the only game.)

If not, place the Dota 2 in Steam>steamapps>Common :)

* Forum Status: Ignored *

* Retarded Lieutenant General of Anti-Awesometitsville *

* Steam: Despair Ridden | Enoshima Junko *

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pronto

Pronto

✧ Mid and Feeding ✧

• 1248 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Uhm no. Anyone with a minimum of 200kb/s downlaod speed can play online games, though their ping will be around 60-80.

I know this because I've played dota 2 through my iphone on the country side. where I had a semi-decent ping of about 40-80.

What are you talking about? The ping which you get all depends on the server location and the routing of your ISP(+ your net speed of course). My internet is 1Mbps and I get an average ping of 230 on USW. Compare that to 450ms, which I get on SEA. This is all due to my ISP routing to the US first, then to SEA; hence the difference in ping.

It isn't all about YOUR net speed...

It will work. That's how I distributed copies of DotA2 to my friends after downloading it.

+1.

Appointed advisor of Awesometitsville... or is it just an illusion?

Sometimes you need to come to the realisation that some things are not meant to be. Don't overthink what has transpired in the past and simply take it in your stride.

AzKat

AzKat

Aegis of the Immortal

• 973 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have a maximum download speed of 825 kb/s

My ingame ping was never lower than 130 in dota2 (no matter the region).
However on Cs:S, my lowest ping was 20.

Fractalnoize

Fractalnoize

Stout Shield

• 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Just Copy paste the folder n ur done !! worked with many people i gave the files to

Posted Image

Posted Image

Active Users

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users